CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Top Five Enumclaw Places I Would Bring Back if I Had The Power




1. Farr-Farrs - The proximity to Godfather's could not be beat. They would give you that little cup so you could spit out all the bubble gum from your bubble gum ice cream. My favorite flavor was peanut butter and jelly.


2. Jayhawks - Do you know how long I thought the jackelope was a real creature? Free popcorn. In sixth grade I got both my fluorescent ski coat and my 6th grade camp bathing suit there. Little known fact - much to my mom's dismay, I waited until the last minute to get the bathing suit and ended up wearing a LEOTARD whose tiny cap sleeves I would TUCK UNDER to make it look more like a bathing suit. Also fluorescent.


3. The Bowling Alley - Seriously, I would build this tomorrow if I could. When I taught, all the kids told me they missed having one. What if I made one with a NASCAR theme and called it Kahne's Lanes? It's an idea.


4. Small Talk- This ephemeral store opened at the exact peak of my dollhouse phase. It was just full of tiny food and miniatures. It used to be in that blue house kind of by Ernie's and Subway? Do you know which one I mean? Wait. Does anyone remember Desi Snitch from the graffiti in Auburn? That did not really belong here, but I think I would bring back Desi Snitch as well.


5. Baumgartner's - The sandwiches were so killer! Why have you forsaken me, Baumgartner's?
This list could go on forever.

9 comments:

Maximillion said...

Excellent list...I was a huge fan of the taco pizza at Godfather's followed by the bubblegum ice cream at Farr-Farr's. Do you remember that toy store that used to be downtown, by Linden's book store? I remember buying Transformers there. The main question is...where do the EJHS boys fight now that the bowling alley is gone? Do they have to make reservations at Peak on EHS off-days?

caitlin said...

That's a good point. The bowling alley was a total theater of war. So many intense moments of our junior high lives took place there. Did you know that I used to think that when people "fought at Peak," they actually climbed to the top of Peak and fought up there, like in that little clearing? How awkward would that hike be? Just walking next to your mortal enemy the entire time. Plus, how tired would you be when it was time to actually fight? I am so mad I can't remember that toy store...for some reason all I can think about is Steve's shoes and the two story JC Penney.

Anonymous said...

My dad used to tell people that he got all of his Christmas shopping done in isle 13 at Jayhawks.

Anonymous said...

My dad died of a traumatic brain injury on aisle 13 at Jayhawks.

Anonymous said...

I am not falling for that again.

Rachel said...

I'm going to go with the 8th grade pit. I have no idea if it's gone (probably not), but the idea of having a pit to sit in with my friends on a regular basis sounds good. And no, the Yella Beak doesn't count.

Anonymous said...

This one is much more recently gone, but I really miss Dairy Queen. Remember that crappy play area outside? The 3-horse merry-go-round probably only worked for a bout a week. Perhaps it's a good thing since it's gone. I would probably swing in there daily if I could. I remember getting pink velcro shoes at Jayhawks. And barn boots from Steve's Shoe Store. And my 1st "high heels" from JC Penny's. I especially liked the arcade room at Godfathers.

Buff Tan Honky said...

My favorite memory of the 8th grade pit was a fistfight that broke out between two 8th graders when I happened to be walking by. These two guys are duking it out, meanwhile Alan Laferrier is doing pushups in the pit because someone kept challenging him that he couldn't do 50 in a row. These guys are fighting and tripping over him but he won't stop because he doesn't want to lose the challenge. For some reason Jason Gokey was there too and no one asked him to leave.

DragonTeaser said...

Did they have any fainting goats in Enumclaw?